About 40 migrants believed to have drowned when their boat sank in the Mediterranean near the Libyan coast. More than 120 people were on the inflatable boat in an attempt to make it to Europe on Wednesday.
“Unfortunately the rubber was of a very bad quality,” said one of the survivors.
All the victims of the rickety boat were from sub-Saharan countries such as Senegal, Mali and Benin. The survivors were rescued in open water by a German navy vessel and brought to the port of Augusta, Sicily.
Italy is the main port of entry in Europe for immigrants seeking a better life, mostly from Africa and Middle East.
United Nations said about 60,000 people have already tried to cross the Mediterranean Sea from African nations this year and estimated that up to 1,900 migrants have died since January in these crossings.
Since January 2015, almost 150,000 migrants have reached Europe by sea, stated by the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
The influx of refugees into Europe seems like never ending issue until and unless they do not have better opportunities and peaceful conditions back home. Therefore, these immigrants will have no reason to put their lives in jeopardy.
Last month, EU foreign ministers approved a military operation against the human traffickers and smugglers in the Mediterranean. The EU officials also presented a plan to deal with the inflow of migrants traveling to Europe via the Mediterranean.
Every year tens of thousands of Africans and Middle Easterners make these desperate journeys in an attempt to escape from poverty and war in their regions.
This year has witnessed a large number of boat tragedies in the Mediterranean including the worst single incident that left nearly 800 people dead in April. IMAGE/todayonline