Militants attacked several Nigerian towns, killing hundreds of people.
Way back 2009, Boko Haram insurgency began after jihadist rebel group Boko Haram started an armed rebellion against the government of Nigeria. An issues of religious violence between Nigeria’s Muslim and Christian communities been also involved.
Boko Haram militants attacked several Nigerian towns in late 2014 and captured them. Prompted Nigerian government to launch an offensive, and with the help of Chad, Niger, and Cameroon. They were able to get back areas that were formerly under the control of Boko Haram.
A resident Tasiu Sammani said, on August 13, about 140 people died in the river near the village of Yadin Kukuwa and 11 were killed after they were shot by the Islamist militants.
Ryan Cummings, chief security analyst told reporters, “The fact that reports of the Kukawa-Gari massacre are only being reported five days after the fact… suggests that there was unlikely any discernible security presence in the region at the time the militant incursion took place.”
Death toll rises upon the incident. The acting director of the military’s information department Colonel Rabe Abubakar, said reports of the incident were “not true, utterly scurrilous and very misleading” in a statement entitled “Boko Haram did not kill 150 in Yobe”.
The massacre was considered the largest loss of life in any single Boko Haram attack since President Muhammadu Buhari swept to power on May 29. Military offensive has weakened the Islamist group, however,
other parts of north-east Nigeria inlcuding Yobe and neighbouring Borno state, are still unsafe.
Spokesperson for the Army Col. Sani Usman assured the public of the Nigerian Army’s commitment in the fight against Boko Haram terrorists. Rest assured of security for law-abiding citizens in the affected areas.
Nigerian military was reported to have retaken most of the areas previously controlled by Boko Haram, April 2015 in North-Eastern Nigeria except for the Sambisa Forest and announced that they had released about 700 women from camps in May 2015. IMAGE/AFP PHOTO / HO / BOKO HARAM