The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is withdrawing some international staff and curtailing operations in Afghanistan following last week’s attack on their Jalalabad compound, a spokesman said on Tuesday.
On May 29 a group of suicide bombers and gunmen went on a rampage, shooting and throwing grenades at staff members. An Afghan guard was killed and three people wounded in the attack.
The ICRC’s decision will likely bring more unease to the international community in the country. There has already been an increase in attacks and kidnappings of foreigners as U.S.-led NATO forces prepare to withdraw next year.
On Friday, the Taliban denied any responsibility for the attack. However, officials from NATO and the Afghan government said they had intelligence that pointed to the Taliban as being behind the attack.