Nairobi, Kenya (UPDATE) — The Kenya Red Cross revised the death toll down to 62 in the Nairobi mall attack, saying some bodies had been counted twice, resulting in the previously released 69 figure.
Meanwhile, Kenyan authorities say their forces are closing in on the terrorists, and that they expect the number of hostages remaining to be “very, very minimal,” according to reports.
A series of loud explosions rocked the mall on Monday afternoon, followed by a plume of black smoke rising above the mall and sporadic gunfire.
Authorities say two gunmen were killed Monday, and they claimed the Kenyan forces now controlled all floors of the mall.
Government officials said their forces were “increasingly gaining advantage of the terrorists,” that the gunmen were on the run inside the mall, and that the Kenyan forces had the mall sealed off to prevent the escape of any terrorists.
They also said all of the militants involved in the attack were males, but some had worn female clothing during the assault.
Authorities said most of the dead were Kenyans, but the foreigners killed included four British citizens, two French nationals, and two Canadians.
One Dutch woman was also reported among the dead, as well as the African poet, author and Ghanian statesman Kofi Awoonor, said a CNN report.
Kenya’s president, Uhuru Kenyatta, said one of his nephews and his nephew’s fiancee were also among the dead.
Reports indicate over 175 people have been wounded since the attack began Saturday.
Before their account was suspended, the al-Shabaab terrorists tweeted a list of nine names it said were among the gunmen. They claimed three were from the United States, and one each from Canada, Finland and the United Kingdom.
These claims have not been verified by the respective countries, but the U.S. has been investigating the claim to determine whether any of the attackers are Americans. Image/AFP/AFPTV/NICHOLE SOBECKI)