Washington (UPDATE) — United States President Barack Obama has canceled his entire trip to Southeast Asia this weekend due to the U.S. government shutdown, the White House announced Thursday night.
The president had originally planned to visit four nations in an eight-day tour of Asia. The nations were Indonesia, Brunei, Malaysia and the Philippines.
The White House had previously announced it was cutting the trip short due to the shutdown, and that Obama would not be going to Malaysia or the Philippines. Now the president has decided not to go to Indonesia or Brunei either.
One of the stops was at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation in Bali, Indonesia.
“The president made this decision based on the difficulty in moving forward with foreign travel in the face of a shutdown, and his determination to continue pressing his case that Republicans should immediately allow a vote to reopen the government,” said a White House statement.
Secretary of State John Kerry will lead the U.S. delegations on the trip instead of the president Obama, the statement said. Image/AFP