Bohol, Philippines — Rescuers have called off the search for survivors from Tuesday’s earthquake on Bohol island in the Philippines that killed at least 180 people.
“The rescue operations have ended and instead we are now conducting recovery operations,” disaster chief Eduardo del Rosario said.
“We are still looking for 13 others. Our responders are now on site to recover their bodies,” said the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council executive director during a news conference.
The 7.2 magnitude quake caused landslides, collapsed buildings, fallen bridges, and shattered roads in Bohol.
The island is about 600 kilometers (370 miles) southeast of Manila, and is a popular tourist destination known for its beaches, “Chocolate Hills”, and centuries-old Catholic churches, many of which were severely damaged.
A total of 167 people were killed on Bohol, 12 on Cebu island, and one on Siquijor. Some 13 people are still missing, according to reports.
No fatalities have been reported among foreign tourists.
Meanwhile, Bohol governor Edgar Chatto said that power had been restored on the island and major roads blocked by landslides re-opened, which speeds up the delivery of relief.
Nearly 400,000 people have been displaced, according to the disaster council. Many are still in makeshift tents, too terrified by aftershocks to return home.