Kuala Lumpur — (UPDATE) Malaysian police have detained a Filipino domestic worker previously employed by the family of the 20-month-old British boy who was abducted from his home in the Bangsar suburb on Friday night, as well as her boyfriend.
City Criminal Investigation Department chief SAC Datuk Ku Chin Wah said the 39-year-old Filipina and her 53-year-old boyfriend were detained during a raid at their flat on Sunday morning.
“We have strong reason to believe that they can either directly or indirectly help the case,” he said, according to reports.
Ku said police are hoping the female suspect can shed some light on the case. She was employed by the Sarah Joseph family until six months ago.
When asked if they could be the two kidnappers, Ku said, “She had worked with the victim for about a year… but at this point we can’t say that it is this woman, and we can’t say it is this man”.
He added that the man did not fit the description of the male kidnapper, who slashed Joseph with a machete when she tried to fight him off during the abduction.
Ku also noted that the manhunt for the kidnappers was ongoing, and hinted that there may have been more than two people involved.
“At this point it is still early, and we cannot confirm anything. We do have one or two reasons why they were detained,” he said of the Filipina and her boyfriend.
“We hope we can get a clearer picture after this,” he said.
Police will apply tomorrow at the Kuala Lumpur courts to remand the two suspects for 14 days under the Kidnapping Act of 1961.
Eyewitnesses described the male suspect as having a fair complexion with Chinese of Burmese features, and about 5’6″ tall.
The female had long black hair, but not much else is known since she remained in the car during the abduction.