Manila — The well-publicized estimate that Typhoon Haiyan killed 10,000 people in the Philippines is too high, and the actual death toll is likely closer to 2,000 or 2,500, said President Benigno Aquino III during a CNN interview on Tuesday.
Aquino said the previous estimate of 10,000 killed came from local officials who perhaps were “too close” to the center of destruction to make an accurate guess.
As of Tuesday, Philippine officials said 1,774 bodies had been counted and 2,487 were injured, according to reports.
But the sheer number of people affected is still daunting, he added.
The United Nations estimates at least 800,000 people have been displaced by the monster storm that struck Friday, leaving many without access to food, water, or medical care.
Aquino expressed gratitude for the aid that has been coming in from around the world.
“There are, at last count, over 22 countries have either pledged to us, actually given us aid,” he said.