Messiah hacker rejects prosecution’s offer
The suspected hacker who allegedly goes by the moniker The Messiah computer hacker rejected the prosecution’s offer on Tuesday during a pre-trial conference, according to reports.
The offer was to proceed on two of four drug consumption charges which the suspect, James Raj Arokiasamy, is accused of.
If he pleaded guilty, the remaining two drug charges would be taken into consideration, said reports.
The prosecution did not take a position on the charge of him allegedly hacking into the Ang Mo Kio Town Council website.
James Raj’s defence attorney, M Ravi, told the media that his client did not take up the prosecution’s offer.
Though the prosecution argued that the Mr. Raj’s plea would not prejudice his client, Mr. Ravi said that if Mr. Raj did so, he would have antecedents, and that this would then be prejudicial in other matters related to his client, according to a Channel News Asia report.
The 35-year-old Messiah hacker suspect is facing four counts of using drugs between May of 2011 and November of 2013.
He is also facing charges related to allegedly accessing the management system of the Ang Mo Kio Council website and modifying its contents without authorization.
He allegedly added an image of a Guy Fawkes mask to the site on October 28 of last year, and is accused of adding texts and banners to the site also.
He is accused of hacking into the Ang Mo Kio Council website from an apartment in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, where the authorities say he was on the run from drug charges dating back two-and-a-half years ago.
Mr. Ravi also applied for his client’s UOB savings card to be released so he could pay his legal fees. The application’s result is expected on Friday.
The case is due to be mentioned again on February 10.