Man died after trying to launch fireworks from top of his head to celebrate the Fourth of July—A 22-year-old Devon Staples was drinking with friends to celebrate the Fourth of July holiday when the accident occurred.
According to the state Department of Public Safety, Staples placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off. He died instantly after the firework exploded.
Maine Department of Public Safety spokesperson said that Staples placed a mortar tube on his head at around 10 p.m. and set it off. “Apparently, he thought that was a great idea, His friends they thought dissuaded him from doing it, and the next thing they knew, he ignited the fireworks and he was killed instantly.” he added.
Staples was reportedly killed instantly from a fatal head injury caused by the explosion.
His death is the first fireworks fatality in Maine since the state legalized fireworks on Jan. 1, 2012, authorities said.
His brother said, “I was the first one who got there. There was no rushing him to the hospital. There was no Devon left when I got there, It was a freak accident. …. But Devon was not the kind of person who would do something stupid. He was the kind of person who would pretend to do something stupid to make people laugh.”
Lawmakers had voted to repeal a 1949 law banning fireworks, reasoning the industry would create jobs and generate revenue. Image/Facebook