Durian candy poisoning in Southern Philippines –Durian flavored candy poisons hundreds in the Philippines Friday, July 10 in Surigao del Sur.
Hundreds of students, mostly elementary, after eating durian flavored candy with a manufacturer’s name ‘Wendy’ in Southern Philippines, According to report.
More than 200 people from at least 6 towns in the province of Surigao del Sur were poisoned after eating Durian candies bought from local vendors, according to Cagwait’s Public Information Office.
Local health officials are now investigating the food poisoning incident and source of the alleged durian.
Students from Lianga, Marihatag, San Agustin, Tago, and Tandag city are also poisoned after eating the Durian candies.
Victims suffered from food poisoning symptoms like weakness, stomach ache, vomiting and nausea, were sent to the nearest hospitals, Rogen Tabugoc of the PIO said.
At least 40 people were sent to the hospitals in Cagwait Elementary school alone in Friday morning, most of them were students, according to Tabugoc.
According to Jude Ramos of the Cortes DRRMO, in other areas durian candies were given free.
Students from the following schools, Aras-asan Elementary School, Unidad Elementary School, Unidad National High School, and Surigao del Sur State University, Ramos said.
One student said she bought two packs of the durian candies, has 20 pieces from a vendor in their school campus.
It was so cheap that’s why she was convinced to buy, the student told the interviewer.
The candies were very hard and bitter and tastes bitter so she stopped consuming them and gave it to the rest of the students.They too then experienced symptoms of food poisoning, the student added.
44 elementary pupils of Kidapawan City Pilot Elementary School in Cotabato were also rushed to the hospital because of similar food poisoning symptoms after consuming durian candies they bought from a roaming vendor on Thursday morning.
Representatives from the manufacturer confirmed they produce durian candies, sold at 100 pieces per pack, not 10 pieces per pack as sold to the students in Kidapawan.
The Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office has yet to confirm if anyone died from the incident, according to Rappler.
Some of the candy vendors are now in the Police custody, a police official said.