Car bomb explosion on August 5, 2013 in the southern city of Cotabato, Philippines.
The deadly attack killed at least 8 people and wounded dozens of others when it exploded on a busy street.
Report says, authorities did not immediately point to any suspects, but government forces have been on alert in the South due to recent attacks and bombings by a breakaway Moro insurgent group opposed to peace talks between the administration of President Aquino and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
Senior Superintendent Rolen Balquin, who heads the city police, said the dead included a police officer aboard a passing van. Another police officer on board that van was wounded by shrapnel and was in critical condition in a hospital.
Car bomb explosion at least 33 people were wounded by bomb shrapnel and flying debris from cars and motorcycles damaged by the explosion, he said.
Cotabato, a bustling trading hub 545 miles south of Manila, has been hit previously by bombings blamed on Muslim rebels and extortion gangs.