Car bomb explosion on August 5, 2013 in the southern city of Cotabato, Philippines.
The deadly attack killed at least 8 people and wounded dozens of others when it exploded on a busy street.
Report says, authorities did not immediately point to any suspects, but government forces have been on alert in the South due to recent attacks and bombings by a breakaway Moro insurgent group opposed to peace talks between the administration of President Aquino and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
Senior Superintendent Rolen Balquin, who heads the city police, said the dead included a police officer aboard a passing van. Another police officer on board that van was wounded by shrapnel and was in critical condition in a hospital.
Car bomb explosion at least 33 people were wounded by bomb shrapnel and flying debris from cars and motorcycles damaged by the explosion, he said.
Cotabato, a bustling trading hub 545 miles south of Manila, has been hit previously by bombings blamed on Muslim rebels and extortion gangs.
Cotabato Philippines Bomb Blast 8 Dead — Death toll rises to 8 Police report said, including a police officer died overnight following the Monday bomb blast in Cotabato City, Philippines.
At least 30 others were wounded in the attack. The slain policeman was identified as a certain Senior Police Officer 4 Malambuay of the Police Regional Office-ARMM.
Philippine’s President Benigno Aquino vowed to find and arrest those behind a powerful bomb that hit Cotabato City as the death toll rose to eight on Tuesday.
He said investigators had “suspects (who) have been the object of our concern for a very long time,” although he did not identify them AFP reported.
Aquino also said the blast may be linked to groups opposed to the government’s continuing peace talks with Muslim rebels.
Government officials said they were looking at the possibility that the deadly attack was aimed at a convoy carrying a sister of Cotabato City mayor Japal Guiani.
“Our initial investigation is leading to that conclusion,” the police chief told AFP.
The explosion also came barely three weeks after a similar explosion rocked Cagayan de Oro City on July 26, killing eight persons and injuring almost four dozen others, in an incident which Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas described as an “act of terrorism.”
According to local news report, Cagayan De Oro City Mayor Oscar S. Moreno announced the city government is offering P2-million reward to any individual or groups who can provide vital information leading to the arrest of perpetrator/s of the bombing incident on July 26 at Rosario Arcade in Limketkai Center here.
Cotabato, Philippines— A bomb explosion in Cotabato city in the southern Philippines today. A Philippine military official says at least 6 people had been killed and injured several others after a powerful bomb exploded during rush hour along a busy road that also damaged vehicles and set business establishments on fire in the city.
initial police reports from the Cotabato City said the explosive was planted in one of the cars parked in front of Villa Funeral Homes and exploded just in time the convoy of Cotabato City Mayor Guiapal Guiani Jr. was passing through the road.
There are no groups immediately held responsible, and city police chief Senior Superintendent Rolen Balquin said the motive was still being investigated.
It was the second bombing to hit Mindanao island this month. Several days ago a powerful blast at a restaurant packed with doctors and pharmaceutical salesmen left eight people dead in the city of Cagayan de Oro on July 26 report said.
Italy will sell some of its Navy Ships to Philippines to help ease economic crisis. The Philippines has one of the most poorly-equipped militaries in the region is purchasing a surplus French Navy ship to boost its forces in the South China Sea where it has an ongoing territorial dispute with China.
The Philippines also “finalising” with the French government the purchase of four brand-new 24-metre and one 82-metre multipurpose vessels, Isorena said.
The 26-year-old “La Tapageuse” vessel is likely to be the first of several French ships that will be acquired by the Philippine coastguard as it contends with increasingly assertive Chinese forces.
According to Coast Guard commandant Rear Adm. Rodolfo Isorena, the new acquisition would be very useful in the performance of the agency’s functions, including maritime law enforcement, safety and environmental protection.
He said the 54.8-meter French Navy vessel “La Tapageuse” is multifunctional and would be a major contribution to the PCG fleet.
Under its current specification, the vessel has a built-in one 40-millimeter antiaircraft gun, one 20-mm antiaircraft canon and two 7.62-mm machine guns report said.
Philippines—The Youtube video of Snow falling in Davao City Philippines was a hoax confirmed by Philippine government weather official. The Video allegedly showed heavy snow falling on banana trees. The story was produced by an online agency and was published on Youtube and received different comments when it went viral online few days ago. Some comment says it was an effect of climate change.
“First this video might be a hoax (“might”) NASA or any server organization might be covering the snow fall in the Philippines…. You said dont believe things online… Might be a hoax Just saying”
PAGASA says, snow is unlikely in the Philippines which is a tropical country. The video didn’t show snow fall but ash fall actually taken during Mt. Mayon’s eruption in 2009. The temperature on Wednesday when the supposed snow fall was experienced was 33 degree Celsius- which is too warm for icy conditions. The weather official also denied the 3.0 $Million damaged worth of crop.
Philippines, Manila — 340 Filipino peacekeepers to stay Golan Heights at least six months after the UN promised to bolster their safety.
In March this year 21 UN inspectors from the Philippines were abducted by Syrian opposition forces from Jamlah, who were later released at the end of negotiations between the rebels and the UN.
Philippine’s Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said during the press conference in Manila that the Philippine Government was satisfied with action taken by the United Nations to keep Filipino peacekeepers stay Golan safe with promises to provide protective equipment and weapons, including armored vehicles.
“On that basis, the likelihood is we will continue beyond August 11,” del Rosario said, referring to the deadline set by the Philippines plan to withdraw the troops in the absence of U.N. guarantees.
On May 5, the Israeli military launched an airstrike on the Jamraya Research Center in a suburb of the Syrian capital, Damascus, for the second time in three days following heavy losses inflicted upon al-Qaeda-affiliated militants by the Syrian army. The location had been targeted in another Israeli air raid in January.