Philippines, Manila — 340 Filipino peacekeepers to stay Golan Heights at least six months after the UN promised to bolster their safety.
In March this year 21 UN inspectors from the Philippines were abducted by Syrian opposition forces from Jamlah, who were later released at the end of negotiations between the rebels and the UN.
Philippine’s Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario said during the press conference in Manila that the Philippine Government was satisfied with action taken by the United Nations to keep Filipino peacekeepers stay Golan safe with promises to provide protective equipment and weapons, including armored vehicles.
“On that basis, the likelihood is we will continue beyond August 11,” del Rosario said, referring to the deadline set by the Philippines plan to withdraw the troops in the absence of U.N. guarantees.
On May 5, the Israeli military launched an airstrike on the Jamraya Research Center in a suburb of the Syrian capital, Damascus, for the second time in three days following heavy losses inflicted upon al-Qaeda-affiliated militants by the Syrian army. The location had been targeted in another Israeli air raid in January.